Recently I joined in the Dixie O'Dare Sun Frock Sew Along. The lovely Dixie O'Dare graded this gorgeous Australian Home Journal pattern to several different sizes and then kindly sent them out to everyone who wanted to participate. I chose this turquoise and navy polka dotted cotton that I've been holding onto for a while.
I had a little bit of trouble right off the bat with the fit. This pattern calls for a line of buttons up the back, but when I put it on Millie, it seemed huge. I took at least 6 inches of ease out of the bodice.
Once I got that worked out and the new darts sewn in, I got to work on the trim and shoulder straps. I used a navy blue piping to trim the edges and made self covered buttons for the back.
The skirt went together quickly. I did add a bit more fullness to the bottom of the skirt since I prefer them that way.
The last bit was adding the pockets. I think I put them a bit too close together in the front, but they aren't terrible so I'm not ripping them off to try to move them.
I am very pleased with how this dress turned out. It fits great. I think if I were to make it again, I would lower the front darts about 2 inches. I have discovered that this seems to be a recurring problem for me, and no one like pointy boobs... Not sure why, but I'll try to work it out on my next make. Thanks again to Miss Dixie O'Dare for letting me play along on this one!
Until next time!